Saturday, March 18, 2017

Spice up your life

IMAGINE! 

You go to a Greek restaurant or a French restaurant or a Japanese restaurant and you order something from the menu. The dish arrives and you take the first bite. The bite just melts in your mouth. The flavor blows your mind. It tantalizes your taste buds so much that you are soon dreaming that you can cook this at home. So you can enjoy the same food in the comforts of your home.

PAUSE...

But what happens when you get home. Days go by, weeks go by and sometimes months go by. You don't try it. Few reasons:

1) You don't know the exact recipe.
2) You don't want to add another spice to your spice cabinet that you are not going to use too much.
3) I know what the real reason is! You don't want to get disappointed as somewhere in the back of you head you know it will not turn out as good as it was in the restaurant.

PAUSE...

This has happened to me several times. Raise your hand if it has ever happened to you.
Thank good, I am not the only one. 

Eating is a necessity but cooking is an art.

PAUSE...

I totally agree with this statement. I feel one can improvise a lot while cooking. If I know the basics of a cuisine I will be more willing to give it a shot. I will be comfortable enough to throw in a pinch of this or a dash of that to come up with a mouth watering dish.

Today I am going to share with you the basics of a cuisine that is very close to my heart: the exotic cuisine of India.

I will talk about Garam Masala which is a spice that is widely used in Indian cuisine.
And then I will talk about how you can use this spice to whip up delightful delicious delicacies.

Let me explain the difference between the terms 'hot' food and 'spicy' food before I explain what Garam Masala is. 

When I say HOT I am not talking about the temperature.

Hot food irrespective of the temperature makes your mouth feel like it's on fire. 
Spicy food has lot of aroma, flavor and texture but it may or may not be hot. 


Garam Masala
Garam- Hot 
Masala- Mixture of spices 
  • King of Indian spices and used all across India in different varieties.
Garam Masala that I use consists of 5 different spices:
  • Cumin
  • Cloves
  • Black peppercorn
  • Black cardamom
  • Cinnamon
These whole spices are grounded together to form a smooth powdery mixture. 
  • Although the word "hot" is there in it's name it never makes your mouth feel like it's on fire.
  • It has lot of aroma, flavor and texture and just the right amount of heat associated with it that makes food hot and spicy.
It can be made fresh from the whole spices or can be bought pre-made. I have a bottle of Garam Masala for people who don't know what it looks like. I got it from Whole foods for 3.99. If anyone gets attached to the bottle while looking at it. I am happy to sell it for ten dollars after the meeting. 

So now you know about Garam Masala, how do you use it?

One way to use it is to make Tadka.
  • Don't be afraid. Tadka is just like a sauce. How do you make this Tadka?
  • Take a pan.
  • Add little oil. When it' shot enough add finely chopped onions. 
  • When the edges of onions turn brown and you begin to sense the nutty and caramel flavors in the air. It's time to add finely chopped tomatoes.
  • You can add Ginger Garlic but it's optional.
  • Then you add 1 tbs Garam Masala and salt to taste. 
  • Cook until it becomes a smooth textured mixture.
Add vegetables or meat to the Tadka and cook until it's done to your liking. The final dish will have nice hot and spicy Indian flavor.

Another way to use it is for grilling or roasting. 

  • Garam Masala makes an excellent  rub for both meat and vegetables.
Now you know some basics of Indian cuisine, what is Garam Masala and how it can be used. Next time you try that Indian cuisine, you know it's the Garam Masala that's giving it the rich flavor. And remember... you know the basics if you feel trying it in your kitchen. So are you ready to spice up your life with Garam Masala?????!!!!!

No comments: